Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Seriously?

Okay. So, as stated in Monday's blog, I had back surgery back in April. I've been improving steadily and starting to feel more & more like myself...until Monday afternoon...

I don't know what happened. I was definitely having a little weakness recently, but I just assumed it was because I'd been working out more and moving more...and that Connor now weighs almost 20 pounds and I'm lifting him constantly. Apparently, I was wrong. I was innocently sitting at my desk working on a project, and I decided to get up and walk around. As soon as I lifted out of my chair, I knew something was not right. And I said to myself, "well, that's not good". I didn't do anything unusual...just stand up. I chose to believe it was a fluke thing. Unfortunately, it has progressively worsened over the past few days. Yesterday morning, I couldn't bring myself to get out of bed and go to work. Sean looked at the pain in my face and told me I should just call in sick. I took his advice. When I finally did get out of bed, I walked to the bathroom in tears, upset that I was going through "this" again and stepping through the pain. I decided I was going to call my surgeon for an appointment. I soon learned that he doesn't take appointments on Tuesdays as this is a surgery day for him. I opted for a massage instead. I tried to convince myself that maybe it's just my piriformis muscle acting up again and a good massage with the amazing Melanie would fix it. So, luckily, Melanie had an opening mid morning for an hour & a half massage. (On a side note, a few years ago, once I discovered the 1.5 hour massage, I have not been able to go back to the hour massage. I feel so cheated.) I gave Melanie the latest on my condition and asked for her help. She worked on my piriformis, glutes, and IT bands for a solid hour, saving the final half hour for the rest of my back and arms. (I also suggested that they should offer a 2 hour massage.) I spent the majority of the massage speculating that maybe she had fixed it by working on this knot or that one...maybe stretching out that tight IT band would magically make it all better. My body was definitely in bad shape. Although it wasn't the most relaxing massage I've had, it was still heavenly, and the spasming of my muscles stopped, temporarily. However, once Melanie left the room so that I could dress, I sat up on the table and I knew she had not "fixed me" as I could still feel the root of the pain.

Today I was able to get in to see my surgeon. Thankfully, he does not believe that my problem is related to my disc. He doesn't know what has caused this, but he believes that it is a "flare up" that happens to some individuals. I'm hopeful that he's right, hopeful being the key word. I definitely have my doubts. I'm starting a 6-day regimen of steroids and muscle relaxers and was told to "take it easy". If I'm not better by Monday, he told me to give him a call and we'll take the next steps.

My boss has been very understanding about all this. She told me that she thinks it best that I work at home until I return to the doctor. I'm relieved that she is so understanding. The thought of sitting at my desk brings tears to my eyes. So, I've spent this afternoon working from my bed. It's days like today that I'm grateful we decided to upgrade our Tempurpedic bed, purchased earlier this year, by adding the adjustable base. I'm able to recline and put my feet up so that I can work from my laptop comfortably! My other option is to work from the kitchen table while standing. So, that's where I'll be for the next few days...

I'm trying to stay positive...as best I can. For now, I'm focusing on the fact that Sean will be picking up Connor in 10 minutes and I get to see his smiling face. I'll also focus on the fact that I have an incredibly understanding and helpful husband. Despite my current pain, I'm one lucky gal!

1 comment:

  1. Thinking of you and hoping you're getting better and better. You need to be all healed up by the 24th!

    ReplyDelete